Our Story
Our Timaru Golf Club was established in 1894 in Cain’s Paddock, an open area between North Street and Hassall Street. Conflicting demands for the recreational use of the land resulted in the Club finding alternative ground at Highfield in 1904. By 1912 adjoining land had been purchased so a permanent course could be planned.
From 1953 boggy conditions, rising rates, urban encirclement and fear of land requisition for housing led to the search for a new site.
In June 1957 the Club purchased 94 acres near the Levels Airport and over time and with considerable effort the course was formed. The original name for the course was Kotuku as two white herons were found on the land but this name was later changed to Levels. The Kotuku remains the club emblem. The new course and clubhouse were officially opened on 10 October 1959.
In recent years the course has undergone significant changes with the addition of two lakes and a state of the art irrigation system enabling the club to present a quality playing surface all year round.